Leadership, Education and Academia
All doctors are required to do elements of the above professionally, but some have a more developed interest in this areas and wish to have a greater role in them. the links below provide more information of opportunities available locally and nationally.
Academia / Research
Alternatives to clinical medicine
There are a range of opportunities for doctors to use their qualification in a non-clinical area, these include:
- Medical Journalism
- Medical politics and ethics
- Pharmaceutical medicine
- NHS Management
Information on all these areas can be readily accessed through the NHS Medical Careers website.
Alternatives to working in the NHS
At various stages in their career, doctors may consider working outside the NHS and the options include:
- Defence Medical Services
- Working abroad
- Prison Healthcare
- Expedition Medicine
Information on all these areas can also be found on the Medical Careers website
Less Than Full Time Training
This is increasingly common for a number of reasons. More information on the Deanery's LTFT page.
- Visa Requirements - UK Border Agency
- If you have leave to remain, the Deanery provides further information here
- General Medical Council - registration queries
- Working with illness or disability
- "So you want to be a medical mum" - book review