Leadership, Education and Academia
All doctors are required to do elements of the above professionally, but some have a more developed interest in this areas and wish to have a greater role in them. the links below provide more information of opportunities available locally and nationally.
Academia / Research
Alternatives to clinical medicine
There are a range of opportunities for doctors to use their qualification in a non-clinical area, these include:
- Medical Journalism
- Medical politics and ethics
- Pharmaceutical medicine
- NHS Management
Information on all these areas can be readily accessed through the NHS Medical Careers website .
Alternatives to working in the NHS
At various stages in their career, doctors may consider working outside the NHS and the options include:
- Defence Medical Services
- Working abroad
- Prison Healthcare
- Expedition Medicine
Information on all these areas can also be found on the Medical Careers  website
Less Than Full Time Training
This is increasingly common for a number of reasons. More information on the Deanery's LTFT page .
- Visa Requirements - UK Border Agency
- If you have leave to remain, the Deanery provides further information  here
- General Medical Council - registration queries 
- Working with illness or disability 
- "So you want to be a medical mum" - book review